miércoles, 6 de marzo de 2013

February’s report (my first week of working on the Unidad Receptora)



In my fist week of working at the unidad receptora was a process of many changes both professionally and personally.

Being able to find a Unidad Receptora was not an easy thing for me. Since I began doing the BA in ELT  I had planned to do my social service at the UV Language Center because, I have studied there since 2004. I know most of the teachers, I also know how the institution works and I thought that it was the perfect place to gain more experience as a teacher. When, I went to talk to the coordinator he told me that there was no space for me to be in front of a group. The coordinator had other plans for me. He wanted me to be like his secretary the majority of the time and work as a facilitator of English for health and tourism using EMINUS. So my teaching will be only on a virtual environment. So I had to deny his request. The truth was, that I really thought that it was going to be a great experience working as a facilitator, but I was not going to feel fine working as a secretary most of my time because I really need the practice to be in front of the classroom.

Then, my next step was going to the UV School of Nursing, but also there were no space for me, it was impossible to carry out the conversation club and the tutoring.  At that moment, my time was running I was desperate to find a school. So, I went to a high school near my house.  I talked with the director and he immediately said yes without thinking too much.

On my first day, I had many emotions, I felt nervous, scared, happy and thrilling. I had a warm welcome from the fellow teachers and the school staff.

Meeting my class was an important moment for me.  I believe that it is really difficult to teach adolescents because they are in a moment of their lives which there are having thorough physical and psychological changes. The  things I observed in the students was that they have a great capacity  for learning, they are in some days lazy due to the all activities they have during the day but  they have an enormous potential for learning. So, for me this experience it is a challenge that it is worth it.

 Personally, I go through many changes, now I need to balance my time in the school, with the activities, the time I spend my family and my chores.
I think this experience was a little difficult at the begging but I hope to have a better time management through the days.  I really enjoy being in front of the classroom. My goal this week is to learn the name of my students

3 comentarios:

  1. Hi Sara, It's great to know that you've finally found a suitable placement, even if it is quite different to what you had originally had in mind. It sounds like you've had a good first week, too - something to congratulate yourself on!

    Good luck with learning your students' names: when I have a new class I look at the register when I go home and try to put faces to names. Another good tip is to get your students to make ID cards in English - with a photo, if they can!

    Does anybody else have any tips for learning students' names?

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Congratulations, Sara!
    I know it is hard to be in front of a group of teenagers, but believe me when I say that it is better than to teach teachers. I have been working with high school students for almost ten years and there is not another school level that interests me as this one. It is true that you will have the lazy one who does not want to work, and the perfectionist "knowitall" who will try to correct your mistakes, but once you establish yourself as a teacher and earn their respect... oh, the feeling is amazing, trust me.
    I wish you all the best, and I know that the upcoming weeks will be easier.
    Nazary.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Hi Sara and congratulatioms it is good to see you have a placement. It is very difficult to work that much and more when you are mother and having choresate home. But on the other hand take like a great experience to learn more and more.
    The best or you!!

    ResponderEliminar